Thursday 29 December 2011

Subterranean Homesick Alien

I entered university in 2000. I studied a BA in English Language and Literature here at JGM. When I entered university, there was no ICEI building, there was no Cenicero, no DEP and Calama existed but it was only dirt. The grass was no grass; actually, they called it 'verde bosque' just because there was nothing green about it. It was only dirt too. I remember they once organised an activity where everyone helped remove the weed (I don't mean the one they smoke).

I studied here for many years. I used to go to Artes to relax or just hang around Filosofía, at the back of the library. I missed lots of classes because I wasn't motivated in life, so I finished university in 2006 (yes, six years! Although the last one I had only one course in the second semester, so it doesn't really count as a whole year studying). 

When I finished university I used my time only to work for a year until I decided it was time to come back to university and get my teaching degree. I enrolled at Universidad de Chile again and studied Education right next to Calama and the Cenicero. That was 2008 and I finished studying in 2009. Then I studied for about 9 months at PUC (a diploma) just to come back here again for my Master's. Now I'm studying at Filosofía again, this time it's a Master's in Linguistics.

I have worked at different campuses that belong to this University and I've also had the chance to visit some others. Although I don't know them all, I can tell you from the ones I know the best one is definitely JGM. So many things have happened here, we have so many places to hang around. We are allowed to do almost anything! (not that much lately, though, but we've already had times like this before so I can tell you all the security won't last forever). I love this campus! I always tell people from other campuses that. This is definitely the best one. No one bothers you, you have lots of places to party, to study, or just relax. I remember when I was younger I used to watch the encapuchados fight with carabineros and stuff, somehow we really enjoyed that at Filosofía... I almost became immune to cry gas (not really). 

I think this is definitely the best campus. I remember 2008's occupation and sleeping at DEP and even partying there (in the photo). I have so many great memories from this place. My university years are the happiest years of my life and all of them have happened here, so for me this campus is home and I never get tired of coming back.

As you can see, I'm in love with the whole campus! However, I'd like to know how you feel about your Faculty. I didn't mention mine because for me all the place is home, but you wanted to talk about Facso so go ahead and tell me. What is it that you love about it?

In your post you can mention:

- Your first impression when you got here.
- Your favourite place in the Facso.
- The place you hate inside it.
- Good things and bad things about it.
- Etc.

You have to write 120-150 words (but if you are too inspired you can write more).
Remember to leave comments on 3 of your classmates' entries.


3 comments:

  1. I really like this photo ....can you tell what they were doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were having a party, dancing, during the campus occupation of 2008. :)

    ReplyDelete